1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLO10: Top and bottom pair on turn in 3bet pot

Discussion in 'Omaha Hand Discussion' started by lukarinho, Oct 12, 2010.

1. lukarinho

lukarinho
    Expand Collapse

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Poker Hands:
    $0.05/$0.10 Pot Limit Omaha Hi
    iPoker
    6 Players
    Hand Conversion Powered by http://weaktight.com/

Stacks:
    UTG Martilad $10
    UTG+1 Hero $11.23
    CO give2theneedy $19.34
    BTN ZANADU365 $11.19
    SB nostradamys $8.79
    BB Keyroy $9.90

Pre-Flop: ($0.15 , 6 players) Hero is UTG+1 :Qc: :Ts: :Ks: :5c:
    Martilad calls $0.10 , Hero raises to 0,45 , give2theneedy raises to $1.60 , 3 folds , Martilad folds , Hero calls $1.15

Flop: :Kh: :7c: :9s: ($3.45 , 2 players)
    Hero checks , give2theneedy bets $3.45 , Hero calls $3.45

Turn: :5d: ($10.35 , 2 players)
    Hero checks , give2theneedy bets $10.35 , Hero goes all-in $6.18

River: :8s: ($26.88 , 2 players , 1 all-in)

give2theneedy stats: VPIP: 24 PFR: 13 3bet: 2.8

Hi Grinders,

i am new here and just would like to introduce myself by posting a PLO10 hand i just played a few hours ago.

As i am very new to PLO i just started to play PLO10. Here is a hand i have a few general question on how i should have played it.

1. Is betting here ok preflop from utg+1? As i have a double suited kinda cooridnated hand i thought an bet is ok here.

2. As CO 3bets i guess a call is standard?

3. I hit the Flop not that bad as i have TP + a gutshot SD + 2 backdoor FDs. So i decided to check with the intention to call a bet as i definetly wanted to see a turn card here.

4. Turn comes a 5 and gives me 2 pair. Now here i was pretty unsure of what to do. I did not bet out because i thought he would never call me with a hand worse than mine. However i am not sure if my call here was correct? As the pot was already more than 100BB i decided to get it in as i thought he might have just Aces here and played it aggressive as i checked flop and turn.

What are your thoughts on that hand? Altogether is my play here ok?

Nice regards

2. Make2Plays

Make2Plays
    Expand Collapse

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Poker Hands:
    Others will be more qualified than I to answer, but I'll offer my thoughts.

1.) The 5 is a dangler but being double suited helps. If you are new to PLO I am fine with you folding this preflop. If the table is relatively tight, you can play this for a raise.

2.) I generally try to avoid calling a lot of three bets from OOP without a hand that is easy to play. The other part is you have to look at how big the pot will be compared to your stack if you do call this three bet. If you call, the pot ends up at 3.45 and you have around $10 left. So your SPR (stack-to-pot ratio) will be around 3. You are borderline to get it in on any flop that you connect with decently. Whether or not I call the three bet depends entirely on how loose a 3bettor villain is.

3.) Given the stack sizes and the flop texture, I actually think you are better off check-raising all in on this flop if you are going to continue in the hand. You probably have very little fold equity, but let's say he has AA**. If that's the case, you are 50/50 on this flop. Get it in if you want to keep playing.

4.) If your hand was good enough to call the flop, and you improve here, your hand is definitely good enough to call the turn.

I am not sure what folks like Botafogo and others will say about this hand, but this is what I think when I go through it. Hope it helps!

3. Botafogo

Botafogo
    Expand Collapse

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Poker Hands:
    Hello lukharino and welcome to the Grinders community.

Seems like Make2Plays is trying to steal my job because his post is absolutely spot on, and I feel liek there is nothing for me to say ;) I would just agree with every point that he made and confirm that he is right about everything.

I don't want to sound lazy, but he really gave you great advice. It's definitely better to c/r flop because you have 2 backdoor flush draws+TP + gutshot, and this is a lot of equity vs any hand which is not a set. Since you have a K, it is very unlikely he has KK, and there should not be many 77xx or 99xx in his 3betting range, so I would say the most scary hands you can be against here are K9xx, or like 79T8 type of hands. One way or another a c/r on flop at least gives you some fold equity where a tighter opponent might c-bet/fold AA on this flop, which is a good result for you because AAxx has between 50% equity. By check/calling flop you have a very awkward SPR for the turn and you may sometimes end up c/folding the best hand if you don't improve if he just keeps barreling with 5678 for example on an A turn lets say. You jsut have to commit with your hand on this flop versus his range. Yes, sometimes he may show KKxx, but this is very rarely and just a cooler, and you shouldn't blame yourself for playing it wrong.

Please keep posting more hands. We would be happy to help. Good luck with PLO!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010
  4. Make2Plays

Make2Plays
    Expand Collapse

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Poker Hands:
    I can't tell you how good this made me feel LOL.

5. lukarinho

lukarinho
    Expand Collapse

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Poker Hands:
    Hi Guys,

first of all, thanks for your reply on that hand.

Besides the fact that i have not really considered the SPR, i Actually didnt even thought of check-raising the flop here. In general i am very unsure what type of hands are still ok to go for a C/R. Have to work on that definitely. So your posts definitely help.

Another question i ask myself here: Lets say we were deeper here. Would you still prefer C/R here instead of C/C?

I'll be posting some hands in the future definitely.

6. Make2Plays

Make2Plays
    Expand Collapse

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Poker Hands:
    So much of it depends on how deep you are - it is almost impossible to give you an answer without knowing how deep the stacks are. The easy answer is to say the deeper you are, the more likely you should be to fold these kind of hands OOP preflop. They just become more difficult to play post-flop.